Hampton Pre-Prep & Prep School (formerly known as Denmead School) was founded in 1924 in the dining room of 41 Wensleydale Road by the James family.
Its founder, Mr W.D. James, was a member of the English staff at the nearby Hampton School, later becoming Deputy Head. His wife was the School’s first teacher and his son, who was left-handed and hence frowned upon at the time in his local school, was the first pupil.
Over time the School’s reputation and numbers continued to grow and it became necessary to expand. Having already procured three houses in Wensleydale Road to accommodate the rise in pupil numbers, the Gloucester Road site was also acquired for a purpose-built school building.
In 1999 the School amalgamated with the nearby Hampton School, a nationally renowned, selective boys’ school. Both schools maintain close links whilst operating independently on a day to day basis. In February 2016 Denmead was renamed Hampton Pre-Prep & Prep School.